When launching a new e-commerce shop there is one mistake that is normally made: trying to position the shop “as a whole” In other words, it is thought that to position your online shop it has to show up when searching for general terms. For example, if you have a shoes shop, the ideal situation would be for it to show up whenever people typed “shoe shop”. However, apart from being quite difficult, this is a mistake. Positioning general words, especially at the beginning, is almost impossible. Why don’t we use the long tail words? Why don’t we take advantage of the product description pages and position “smaller” keywords? If you are a realistic person and you want to know how to get Google traffic without needing dozens of links, investing in Google Shopping , or waiting for months, keep reading. We are going to tell you how to optimize the SEO of all your product pages to get traffic directly to these pages.
1. Never copy the descriptionsAs we already mentioned in our guide to SEO for online stores , the worst mistake when writing product descriptions is copying the description given by the supplier or from other online stores. Google will end up penalizing you . If someone beat you to it, your content will be a duplicate and there will be nothing you can do to face your competitors. Actually, even if you wrote it first, it could affect you negatively. Besides, if you write a longer and more detailed description, Google will reward you. On Page SEO is essential for positioning a product page from an online shop.
2. Analyse the keywords before you write the descriptionsWhen we wrote about how to write the perfect product description we mentioned a key tip to position these pages: carry out a keyword research to find the best long tails. Thanks to Keyword Planner , it is easy to find these keywords. To find out the long tails, you will need to use Ubersuggest or Keyword Shitter . Supposing that you have already analyzed your competitors and that you know which product pages are the ones to be positioned in Google, SEMrush is your solution. It will tell you which keywords help position the website and the different pages in just a few seconds.
3. Improve your photosThe product photo is essential to add that little something to the positioning. Just by adding its name including the ideal keyword and the ALT and TITLE labels , you will gain an advantage over your competitors. Google doesn’t see the photos, it reads them , and that is why name attributes ALT, and TITLE are key to having your photos being read properly. An ideal name for your pictures would be like this: keyword-picture-size.jpg. For example: Babolat-Pure-Drive-Nadal-1024-760.jpg. Finally, ALT should be even more descriptive while still using the keyword itself. A good use of ALT for the previous example would be “Rafa Nadal’s Babolat Pure Drive Racket”.
4. The client is always rightThere is no way you can sell on the Internet without having product assessments. It is unusual for clients to buy something without reading any opinions about the product. You must be wondering what that has to do with SEO. Well, it is really important because of two main reasons that make the reviews important for On Page SEO:
- Organized data : have you ever seen the “little stars” when you look for something on Google? They come from organized data from client product assessments. Add these popular stars and you will stand out in the search results.
- More content including keywords : normally, the assessments include direct or related keywords and they increase the page content. You can organize them so the best ones show up first.