Banners allow you to promote certain products or marketing campaigns in search results. You can set them to be triggered at specific time periods, selectively by search terms, and there is also an option to display a default banner for all search results.
To configure Banners, you need to access your Doofinder Admin Panel, go to the Search Engines list, choose one of them, then navigate to the Banners tab below and click on the ‘Add New’ button.
You can add new banners by clicking the button over the banners list (1), or update any previously created banner by clicking over its name at the banners list (2). In both cases, you will be taken to a banner configuration form. The form contains different sections:
Basic options for all Banners are:
- Name: The name to identify this Banner at the Banners List.
- Enable/Disable banner: A checkbox to disable the banner without deleting it.
- Default Banner: Set this banner as the default one for all non-specified search terms.
- Validity Period: Set the date range when this banner will be shown to users (optional).
Notice: Only one banner can be set as default. Whenever you set some banner as default, the previous one (if exists) will be unset.
This will allow you to type and add multiple terms that will trigger this banner. This means that whenever a user types one of these terms, this banner will show up at the top of the results layer.
Terms can be set in two ways:
- Exact Match: This Banner will be shown if the user types EXACTLY this search term.
- Broad Match: This Banner will be shown if the text typed by the user CONTAINS this search term.
To choose your banner, you can upload a local image, desktop and mobile, by clicking the Upload Banner button as well as using a publicly accessible image.
- Uploaded Image: When editing, this will show the current uploaded image. It will be empty when creating a new banner. Recommended image size and format is shown in the help text.
Please note that HTML knowledge is required to use this option.
- Target Link: This is the URL that will be opened in the browser when the user clicks the banner.
- Open in new window: This checkbox will add a link attribute to open the target URL in a new window, so users can keep the current search page.
Banner image size
There’s no standard size for banners in doofinder, due to the layer size is variable.
As a recommendation, for desktop is 150 pixels in height and 500-800 pixels wide. The recommended size for mobile is 320 pixels wide and 50 pixels in height.
This is not mandatory, it’s only a recommendation. You can do the banners as best fit your layer.
Remember, if you upload the image to our servers, the max file size is 150 Kb.
Note: Remember to save your changes by clicking the Save button before leaving the page.
Now go on and create some banners to promote your upcoming events or best-selling products!
The Banners List
At the Banners Section, you will see the list of banners if you have already created one or more. Created banners are listed in a table with the following columns:
- Name: A custom name to identify each banner.
- Terms data: The terms that trigger this banner.
- Displays: How many times this banner has been shown to users.
- Clicks: How many times this banner has been clicked.
- CTR: the number of clicks that your banner receives divided by the number of times your banner is shown
- Status: The status of a banner can be:
- Enabled: The Banner is currently shown if someone types one of the search terms.
- Disabled: The Banner is disabled and won’t be shown.
- Default: If some banner has this mark , it will be shown for all non-specified terms.
Watch our tutorial video:
Should you encounter any problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: Nov 2021